Sunday 15 May 2016

FOR THOSE THAT LOVE BEAUTY... Use this...

Do Beauty Products That Claim to Help You Relax Actually Work? We Put Them to the Test
By Deanna Pai // 3 Hours Ago
Between the missed call(s) from my mom, constant construction outside my apartment, and eight emails I keep forgetting to reply to (sorry, everyone), it can be tough to find a second to stop and just chill out. I can't really justify wasting time on "well-being" when I have work to do and Netflix to catch up on. But lately, more and more beauty products are taking a mind-body approach, upping the usual benefits like hydrated skin with less tangible perks like better sleep and more creativity. I'm equal parts skeptical and totally into it—so in the name of self-TLC, I decided to test them out.
The Product: Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Overnight Firming Mask ($88,macys.com)
The Promise: The scent of the mask encourages a happier, more relaxed mood, which will incidentally help you get a better night's sleep.
Putting It to the Test: I don't know if it was a placebo effect or what, but I smoothed this onto my face and thought, "Wow, I really do feel a little more relaxed." (I'm what marketing departments dream about.) The exact scent is a secret, but to my untrained nose, it smells floral and also, weirdly, a little buttery—and if that doesn't put you in a good mood, I don't know what will. But it's clinically proven to put your brain on vacation mode. "Certain scents trigger feelings, including those that help us relax and fall asleep," says Aurelie Felix, senior R&D scientist at Elizabeth Arden. In a study conducted by the brand, subjects received an MRI scan of the brainafter smelling the scent, and for every single person, the scan showed that the happiness and relaxation region of the brain had been activated. Beyond my initial reaction, I felt calmer, but otherwise didn't notice a huge difference once I fell asleep. The next morning, though, I shuffled into my bathroom and did a double-take in the mirror. My skin, which is typically speckled with minor breakouts and dark spots, had a legit I-just-got-a-facial glow. I splashed water on my face to rinse off lingering residue (since the mask dries overnight) and the glow remained. I tried it again following a cross-country flight and woke to the same amazing result. It doesn't necessarily work miracles (my breakout was still there, though without the redness that usually accompanies it) but even so, consider me converted.The Verdict: Even if you don't find your winter blues totally cured, your reflection in the mirror the morning after will definitely boost your mood.
The Product: Aromatherapy Associates Open Space Shower and Bath Oil ($73,
spacenk.com )
The Promise: A blend of eucalyptus, peppermint and grapefruit essential oils reenergizes the senses and helps clear your head (literally and figuratively).
Putting It to the Test: All year long, I've been plagued by a case of the sniffles, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on this essential oil blend, which supposedly helps to clear up congestion. As soon as I unscrewed the cap and got a whiff of sharp eucalyptus, I was sold. It's like Vick's VapoRub for people who like spas and do not in any way want to smell like Vick's VapoRub. You can pour itinto a bath or rub it over your stomach before hopping into the shower (which is what I opted for). Once I stepped in, my shower smelled steam room-fancy. I was into its bright, herbaceous scent, which is why I was bummed that the fragrance had faded by the time I rinsed off my conditioner. But even if it wasn't hitting me over the head with eucalyptus, it wasn't a total wash: Every time I used it, it suspended my sniffles for a few hours.
The Verdict: I didn't notice an improvement in my mood or energy, but the decongesting factor made this a worthwhile addition to my shower. Plus, it smells so good that I wish it was a candle.
The Product: Naturopathica Inspire Aromatic Alchemy ($28,
naturopathica.com)
The Promise: Balsam fir, mandarin,and grapefruit essential oils get your creative juices flowing and have a balancing effect on your mood.
Putting It to the Test: Quick confession: I'm not an idea person by nature. Good ones come to me sporadically and never when I need them, because life. So I approached this creativity-enhancing oil with the expectation that it would turn me into an idea machine worthy of a Silicon Valley entrepreneur. The first time I tried it, I rubbed a few drops between my palms, held them up to my face, and took a deep inhale. The oil smelled pine-y and earthy on my hands. Then, I sat down and waited for the ideas to arrive. A few did, but more than anything, I felt focused and alert (which is still pretty impressive for me). The next time I tried it, I took the advice of Naturopathica founder Barbara Close and rubbed it into my feet, because,she says, it reenergizes the entire body, and I'd been yawning my way through a bad case of jet-lag. After a few minutes, I felt both a slight tingling in my feet and, energy-wise, more refreshed. The effect was still subtle—more as though I'd closed my eyes for ten minutes than actually napped—but I liked it.
The Verdict: This works as a discreet cure to that 4 P.M. slump (you know, when you just want to call it a day and slink into bed). Also, rubbing the oil on my hands forced me to put down my phone, making me take a breather.
The Conclusion: Not totally converted. From my very unscientific experiments, the well-being hook is more of a bonus than a sole reason to buy something new. That said, I'm using the Elizabeth Arden mask down to the last drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment